Friday, September 20, 2013

My first post: Some quilts I love

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog that I've had for several months but never posted anything...lame, I know. For this first post I just wanted to keep things really simple and post some pictures of quilts I love love love. These are from the Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild, which I have been a member of for two years now.


This is one of my faves because of how special it is to my family. The CMQG made this for my son when he had his kidney transplant in May 2012. It's a really fun I-Spy quilt, and we played I Spy together with this quilt for hours while he was at home recovering during the summer last year. The back of the quilt has a pocket that was filled with little cards with words written on them of things we could spy out in the quilt. It's kind of blurry in this pic, but he's holding one of the cards in his hand. I love this quilt and I totally love the CMQG for doing this for us. I spy...a black cat on a red couch.


This is a quilt that Michelle made from Lisa Billings's pattern Polka Dot Block in the book Block Party. I love this quilt! Lisa's version used a dark gray background with bright warm prints for the circles and white sashing. I love the cool tones Michelle used in her version.


This is one of my absolute favorites from our show and tell times. I adore Sheila, because she made the absolute perfect Secret Santa gift for me last year: two small cosmetic zipper bags with beautiful orange Good Fortune fabric from my favorite designer, Kate Spain. Here Sheila (on the left, and that's Michelle on the right) made an awesome square-in-a-square quilt using beautiful aquas and reds. Something about this quilt screams Camille Roskelley to me...not sure if it's the pattern or the fabric, but it definitely screams Camille. Lovely work, Sheila!


This is a quilt by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr. I love how they did each block using smaller rectangles, so many in fact that you really don't see the square blocks until you look for them. Weeks said that the secret to this quilt was limiting the values used in it. The darkest fabric used is just to the right of the middle, and the lightest used is just two squares away from it, up and to the left. By limiting the values they kept this quilt from looking like a mismatched hodgepodge and made it really successful. Here's a close-up...


And I think this quilt (like all of their quilts) was made from their own fabric lines, which are all made to go with one another and with designs that stand the test of time. They're graphic enough to look modern but traditional enough to not look dated in just a few years. Gotta love that!


Heather made this pillow top at a workshop with Faith Jones where we did improv piecing. Heather has this amazing ability to take the techniques that someone else teaches and instead of making an exact replica, put her own signature style on it to come up with her own unique work of art. I love how she alternated the warms and cools in this pillow, but even more, how she designed the log cabin blocks to look like some of the color strips are extending out into the border.


This quilt was the first quilt that new member Lisa showed at one of our guild meetings. And there's a great story behind it: Lisa took a quilting class from Denyse Schmidt...and she didn't even know at the time who Denyse was! Oh.My.Frickin.Gawd. For real, she thought she was just enrolling in some quilting class. (My all-time favorite quilt is Drunk Love in a Log Cabin, by Denyse Schmidt.) And she made this amazing quilt out of, you'll never guess what: jeans. Jeans that she had in her closet that she didn't wear anymore. We all have them: jeans that we paid some good money for but we don't wear now because we're too old or fat or whatever and we'll only get $2 for each pair at a garage sale. So they sit in the closet. Or in bins in the basement. Lisa, this is the best use of old jeans that I've ever seen. I hope you and your great great grandchildren get a million years of wear out of this beautiful quilt.



This picture sucks, sorry Ellen, but I love this quilt. Ellen made this using Valori Wells's Wrenly line of fabric. I'm a huge fan of all of Ellen's work and a huge fan of Valori Wells fabric, so this quilt is a winner to me. And for the back Ellen made a huge plus sign. She's so clever!






I'll end with this one, which made the cut mostly because of the cute cat. This is my modern dresden quilt, which I made for the IQF in Cincinnati last year. The picture is really of our cat, Junior, and not the quilt, but still you can see that it's a dresden plate and it's made with modern fabrics. So, think The Sound of Music here...these are a few of my favorite quilts.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to show some of your favorites. Gives a great idea of who you are! Can't wait to see more, glad you are putting my tutelage to good use ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just too lazy to do the binding tutorial I have planned. And yes, you made blogging easy for me. Thanks!

      Delete